Transport yourself to the enchanting culinary world of France with this exquisite Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon recipe. Bursting with rich flavors and tender melt-in-your-mouth beef, this dish is a testament to the art of slow cooking and the traditional cuisine of Burgundy.
Beef Bourguignon, also known as Boeuf Bourguignon, is a timeless French dish that has captivated taste buds around the globe. Originating from the picturesque region of Burgundy, this recipe showcases the region’s renowned red wine, delectably tender beef, and a medley of aromatic vegetables and herbs.
The slow cooker method infuses every bite with deep, complex flavors while allowing the beef to become irresistibly tender. As it simmers away, the heavenly aroma will permeate your kitchen, tantalizing your senses and building anticipation for the feast that awaits.
In this recipe, succulent beef stew meat is seared to perfection, creating a savory base that harmonizes beautifully with the caramelized onions, earthy carrots, and fragrant garlic. A luscious combination of red wine, beef broth, tomato paste, and herbs elevates the dish to new heights, ensuring a velvety sauce that enrobes each tender morsel.
To add a delightful twist, we incorporate sautéed mushrooms and crispy bacon, enhancing the dish with their distinct flavors and textures. For a complete and satisfying meal, we recommend serving this Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon with roasted baby potatoes, their golden skins contrasting beautifully with the rich, flavorful sauce.
Whether you’re a seasoned chef or an enthusiastic home cook, this Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon recipe will transport you to the heart of France, where rustic charm and gastronomic delight converge. Prepare to indulge in a culinary journey that pays homage to the time-honored traditions of French cuisine. Bon appétit!
- 2 pounds (900g) beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (240ml) red wine (such as Burgundy or Pinot Noir)
- 2 cups (480ml) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces (225g) mushrooms, sliced
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
For the garnish (optional):
- 1 pound (450g) baby potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside, leaving the drippings in the skillet.
- Season the beef stew meat with salt and pepper. In the same skillet with the bacon drippings, brown the meat in batches until all sides are well-seared. Transfer the browned meat to a slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onion, carrots, and minced garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are slightly softened. Transfer the cooked vegetables to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine, beef broth, tomato paste, flour, thyme leaves, bay leaves, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the meat and vegetables in the slow cooker. Stir well to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours, until the beef is tender and cooked through.
- About 30 minutes before serving, heat a little oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they are browned and any liquid has evaporated. Add the cooked mushrooms and reserved bacon to the slow cooker. Stir well and continue cooking for the remaining time.
- If desired, prepare the garnish by tossing the baby potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast them in a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for about 25-30 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Once the beef is done, remove the bay leaves and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Serve the Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley. Accompany it with the roasted baby potatoes, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon, inspired by the flavors of France!