Beef Rendang is a traditional Indonesian dish known for its rich and aromatic flavors. The slow cooking process allows the meat to become tender and the spices to infuse into the dish. Enjoy this Slow Cooker Beef Rendang recipe and have a tasty dinner tonight.
- 2 pounds (900g) beef chuck, cut into cubes
- 2 cans (13.5 fl oz/400ml each) coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bruised
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inches (5cm) ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Cooked rice or steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and the mixture becomes fragrant.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric powder, chili powder, and brown sugar. Mix well to form a spice paste.
- Add the spice paste to the pan with the onion mixture. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes until the spices release their aromas.
- Transfer the spiced onion mixture to the slow cooker. Place the beef cubes on top.
- In the same pan, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Sauté the bruised lemongrass stalks, kaffir lime leaves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, cloves, and star anise for a minute to release their flavors. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Pour the coconut milk over the beef and spices in the slow cooker. Add tamarind paste and season with salt to taste. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Set the slow cooker to low heat and cook for 6 to 8 hours, or until the beef is tender and the flavors have melded together. Stir occasionally during the cooking process.
- Once the beef is tender, remove the lemongrass stalks, kaffir lime leaves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, cloves, and star anise from the slow cooker.
- If the sauce is too thin, transfer it to a saucepan and simmer on the stovetop until it thickens to your desired consistency.
- Serve the Slow Cooker Beef Rendang over cooked rice or steamed jasmine rice. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Enjoy the flavorful and tender Slow Cooker Beef Rendang with its rich coconut and spice-infused sauce.