A comforting bowl of beef stew is the epitome of a hearty and satisfying meal. This slow cooker beef stew recipe is the perfect solution for busy days when you crave a warm and nourishing dish. With tender chunks of beef, an array of vegetables, and a rich, flavorful broth, this recipe will leave you wanting seconds. So, dust off your slow cooker and get ready to savor the aroma and taste of this classic dish.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds (900g) beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and black pepper. Add the beef stew meat and toss until coated evenly.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef to the skillet and cook until browned on all sides. This step helps seal in the flavors and adds depth to the stew.
- Transfer the browned beef to the slow cooker. Add the minced garlic, diced onion, sliced carrots, potato chunks, and celery.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the beef broth, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce until well combined. Pour the mixture over the beef and vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Add the bay leaves, dried thyme, and dried rosemary to the slow cooker. These herbs will infuse the stew with wonderful flavors as it simmers.
- Give everything a gentle stir to ensure that the ingredients are well distributed. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high heat for 3 to 4 hours. The longer cooking time allows the flavors to meld together beautifully.
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir in the frozen peas. This will add a pop of color and freshness to the stew.
- Once the cooking time is complete, remove the bay leaves and taste the stew. Adjust the seasoning if necessary by adding more salt and pepper to suit your preferences.
- Serve the slow cooker beef stew hot in bowls. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley if desired. It pairs wonderfully with a crusty bread or even over a bed of fluffy mashed potatoes.
- Enjoy every spoonful of this hearty and delicious slow cooker beef stew!
With just a little bit of preparation and the convenience of a slow cooker, you can create a flavorful and comforting beef stew that will warm both your body and soul. This recipe allows you to enjoy a delicious meal without spending hours in the kitchen. So, let your slow cooker work its magic and indulge in the rich flavors of this classic dish. Your taste buds will thank you!