Introducing a tantalizing delight from the rich culinary traditions of India: Slow Cooker Butter Chicken. This beloved dish, known for its creamy and aromatic flavors, takes on a new level of convenience and tenderness as it simmers away in the gentle heat of your slow cooker. Succulent chicken pieces marinated in a harmonious blend of spices, yogurt, and tomato puree, slowly meld together to create a luscious sauce that will transport your taste buds to the streets of Delhi. With the convenience of modern technology and the timeless allure of authentic Indian cuisine, this recipe promises to deliver a mouthwatering experience that will leave you yearning for more. Prepare to embark on a culinary journey filled with fragrant spices, creamy textures, and the unmistakable essence of India with this delightful Slow Cooker Butter Chicken recipe.
- 1.5 lbs (700g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, tomato puree, heavy cream, garam masala, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric powder, chili powder, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, black pepper, sugar, and salt. Mix well to make a smooth marinade.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and coat them evenly. Cover the bowl and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight for best results.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent and start to brown.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger paste to the skillet and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer the onion, garlic, and ginger mixture to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, increase the heat to medium-high and add the marinated chicken along with the marinade. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken starts to brown.
- Transfer the chicken and marinade to the slow cooker, ensuring all the chicken is submerged in the sauce.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the Slow Cooker Butter Chicken over steamed basmati rice or with naan bread. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Enjoy your flavorful and aromatic Slow Cooker Butter Chicken!