Introducing a classic Filipino favorite that will tantalize your taste buds and fill your home with mouthwatering aromas: Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo. This beloved dish is renowned for its tender chicken, infused with a delightful blend of soy sauce, vinegar, and aromatic spices. By utilizing the convenience of a slow cooker, you can effortlessly create a flavorful masterpiece that requires minimal effort. Let the gentle simmering process work its magic as the chicken becomes succulent and succumbs to the rich adobo sauce. With each bite, you’ll savor the harmonious balance of tangy, savory, and slightly sweet flavors that make Chicken Adobo an irresistible culinary delight. So, gather your ingredients and prepare for a delightful journey into the heart of Filipino cuisine with this Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo recipe.
- 2 pounds (about 1 kg) bone-in chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar (preferably Filipino cane vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Chopped green onions or cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat the cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned on all sides. This step is optional but helps to enhance the flavor of the dish. You can skip it if you prefer.
- In a slow cooker, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, water, minced garlic, bay leaves, black peppercorns, and brown sugar (if using). Stir well to combine the ingredients.
- Place the browned chicken pieces into the slow cooker and ensure they are fully submerged in the sauce mixture. If necessary, add a little more water or vinegar to cover the chicken.
- Set the slow cooker to low heat and cook the chicken adobo for 6 to 8 hours, or until the chicken is tender and fully cooked. The longer it cooks, the more flavorful the dish will be.
- Once the chicken is cooked, carefully remove it from the slow cooker and transfer to a serving plate. Skim off any excess fat from the surface of the sauce.
- If desired, you can further enhance the flavor of the sauce by transferring it to a saucepan and simmering it on the stovetop for a few minutes to reduce and thicken slightly. Adjust the seasoning by adding salt if needed.
- Serve the slow cooker chicken adobo over steamed rice. You can spoon some of the sauce over the chicken and rice. Garnish with chopped green onions or cilantro for added freshness and color.
Enjoy your delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo! It pairs well with a side of steamed vegetables or a simple salad.