Who doesn’t love a comforting bowl of mac and cheese? This classic dish is loved by both kids and adults alike. Today, I’m going to share with you a hassle-free way to make the creamiest and most delicious mac and cheese using your slow cooker. With this slow cooker mac and cheese recipe, you can simply set it and forget it, and come back to a bubbling pot of cheesy goodness. Let’s get started!
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Cook the Macaroni
Start by cooking the elbow macaroni according to the package instructions until it’s al dente. Drain the cooked macaroni and set it aside.
Step 2: Prepare the Slow Cooker
Grease the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray or lightly coat it with butter to prevent sticking.
Step 3: Combine Ingredients
In a large bowl, combine the cooked macaroni, shredded cheddar cheese, milk, heavy cream, melted butter, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Step 4: Transfer to the Slow Cooker
Pour the macaroni mixture into the prepared slow cooker, ensuring it is evenly distributed.
Step 5: Cook on Low Heat
Cover the slow cooker and cook the mac and cheese on low heat for 2 to 3 hours. It’s important to keep an eye on it and stir occasionally to prevent the edges from burning. Cooking times may vary depending on your slow cooker, so check for the desired consistency.
Step 6: Adjust Consistency
If you find that your mac and cheese is too thick, you can add a little more milk or cream and stir well. Likewise, if it’s too thin, leave the slow cooker uncovered for a while to thicken it up.
Step 7: Serve and Enjoy!
Once the mac and cheese is cooked to perfection, it’s time to serve and enjoy. Scoop it into bowls and garnish with some freshly grated cheese or chopped parsley, if desired.
- For added flavor, you can experiment with different types of cheeses such as Gruyere, Monterey Jack, or Colby.
- Feel free to add cooked bacon, sautéed onions, or even diced tomatoes for extra texture and flavor.
- If you prefer a golden crust on top, transfer the mac and cheese to a baking dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and a little more cheese, and broil it in the oven for a few minutes until it’s bubbly and golden.
This slow cooker mac and cheese recipe is a game-changer. The convenience of the slow cooker combined with the irresistibly creamy and cheesy outcome makes it a go-to dish for busy weeknights or gatherings. So, grab your ingredients, set up your slow cooker, and indulge in the ultimate comfort food experience. Your taste buds will thank you!